Feed your body, mind, and soul this weekend with some feel good events that inspire. Swing to the sounds of Salsa Under the Stars, feel the wind kiss your cheek while crossing the Coronado Bay Bridge, or reminisce over familiar rock ballads as you witness green hues spark the horizon. Whatever flavor lends to you, make it an experience worth sharing with your family and loved ones.
Salsa Under the Stars
This Friday, kick off your weekend with a scenic dance event requiring no partner, cost, or previous experience. Sway your hips to the rhythm of Manny Capeda and his orchestra with the harbor sunset as your backdrop. Looking for a little more spice? Shimmy over to Puesto for a taste of freshly mixed margaritas, oeuvres, and a salsa of their own guaranteed to get you moving!
When: May 18, 2018, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Where: The Headquarters at Seaport –789 West Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Navy’s Bay Bridge Run/Walk
Fire up for this weekend’s Bay Bridge Run/Walk crossing waters for it’s 32nd annual year! With funds going to welfare and recreation programs aiding over 500,000 members of our county’s military family, this Navy-hosted event invites the public to support a better quality lifestyle for themselves and those who support them. Glimpse 4 miles of sweeping bay views as you make your way from downtown to the finish line at Coronado’s Tideland’s Park, where a completion medal, event t-shirt, and free downtown transportation await you.
When: May 20, 2018, 8:00am – 12:00pm
Where: Starting Line – Hilton San Diego Bayfront – 1 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101
Fiesta Del Sol 2018
Ring in summer at Solana Beach with the 39th annual Fiesta Del Sol! This free 2-day arts and music festival blends an eclectic mix of international live music including rock, reggae, blues, soul, funk, jazz, and worldbeat. Relish gourmet finds at the many food trucks, explore unique shopping specials as you wander the festival grounds, or let your kids be the guide at the Children’s Area offering arts & crafts, rides, games, a climbing wall, and much more!
When: May 19-20, 2018, 9:00am – 9:00pm
Where: Solana Beach Chamber of Commerce – 210 West Plaza, Solana Beach, CA 92075
Green Flash Concert Series: Jumping Jack Flash
The Green Flash concert series returns for its 13th season with Jumping Jack Flash at its stage paying tribute to one of the “greatest rock-n-roll bands” of its time. Soak in 360-degrees of waterfront views from the aquarium’s Tide-Pool Plaza as you reminisce to the riffs of “Angie” and “Sympathy for the Devil.” Don’t forget to peak up at the horizon for a rare “green flash” as the sun settles over San Diego.
When: May 16, 2018, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Where: Birch Aquarium at Scripps– 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, CA 92093
Cost: Members $33, General Public $38
“If life is a nightmare, wake up to a dream.” Dr. Rev. Kenji Akahoshi offers his wisdom and knowledge on mindfulness for Sake Talks this month as Balboa Park celebrates the 150th anniversary of its construction. Sip on warm sake while you savor light bites by the JFG Cafe and many more thought-provoking discussions. Guest lecturers will also lend their time to topics commemorating the rise of Balboa Park, followed by a Q&A.
When: May 15, 2018, 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Where: Japanese Friendship Garden of San Diego – 2215 Pan American Way E, San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: General $15, JFG Members $10, Day of $20
SoCal Etsy Guild Artisan Market
Crafting a day of handmade festivities this weekend is the SoCal Etsy Guild Artisan Market. Featuring live art, local designers, music, and various new vendors, explore artistry at its finest as you wander through the stalls of Horton Plaza Park. Discover one-of-a-kind clothing, jewelry, paintings, and other accessories that inspire ideas for the inner artist in you.
When: May 19, 2018, 10:00am-5:00pm
Where: Horton Plaza Park – 900 Fourth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
More to Explore in San Diego
- A Thousand Splendid Suns – Thru June 17, 2018
- Liquid Opportunities – Thru May 26, 2018
- Nat Talk: The Mind of the Dolphin – May 15, 2018
- Taco Tuesday Takeover with Rebecca Masson – May 15, 2018
- Art of Elan: Dream Without Walls – May 15, 2018
- History Talks! Celebrating Bum – May 16, 2018
- Jay Chandrasekhar – May 17-19, 2018
- Pedro the Lion with David Dondero – May 17, 2018
- Beer & Wine Paring Dinner: Stone Brewing & ZD Wines – May 17, 2018
- Shady Ladies and Hop Heads Tour – May 18, 2018
- Intersection of Past and Present in Iranian Art – May 18, 2018
- Celtic Woman: Homecoming Tour – May 18, 2018
- Vaud and the Villains – May 18, 2018
- San Diego Century – May 19, 2018
- You can be a Veterinarian Camp – Internal Medicine – May 19, 2018
- Sea Days: Earth Day – May 19, 2018
- Endangered Species Day – May 19, 2018
- Cindy Lee Berryhill – May 19, 2018
- PGK Presents “San Diego Dances in the Diamonds” – May 19, 2018
- Traditional Zulu Song, Dances & Stories – May 19, 2018
- The Brothers Comatose – May 19, 2018
- John Prine – May 19, 2018
- San Diego Dances in the Diamonds – May 20, 2018
- The National Ballet of Ukraine’s Don Quixote – May 20, 2018