There’s no shortage of festive activities in San Diego this week to jumpstart you into the holiday spirit. If twinkly lights, hot cocoa, and pine trees aren’t for you, there is also a surf competition and chili cook-off happening in San Diego this week. Enjoy the fall weather, leave your house and attend one of the events below.
2017 ISA World Adaptive Surfing Competition
Enjoy the ocean spray when you come out to La Jolla to watch surf competitions including surfing with shortboards and longboards. The International Surfing Association (ISA) was founded in 1964 and is recognized by the International Olympic Committee as the World Governing Authority for Surfing. The ISA has members from 101 countries on five continents, with headquarters located in La Jolla.
When: November 29 – December 3, 2017
Where: La Jolla Shores 8302 Camino Del Oro San Diego, CA 92037
Balboa Park December Nights
Explore San Diego’s favorite park with a holiday twist with food, holiday lights, dancers, choirs and bands playing your favorite Christmas tunes, holiday shopping, fun attractions and free admission to museums. This is the 40th year of December Nights at Balboa Park. Put on your ugliest holiday sweater and come out and experience this yearly holiday tradition in San Diego.
When: Friday, December 1, 3:00pm – 11:00pm and Saturday, December 2, 12pm – 11pm
Where: Balboa Park – 1549 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
Winter Wonderland Festival
Every holiday season, Santa brings the North Pole to the heart of Escondido. Attendees will have the opportunity to play in real snow, hang out with live reindeer, and decorate Christmas cookies! Children will also have the chance to meet with Santa and enjoy holiday entertainers like carolers and stilt walkers. Food, drinks, and shopping will also be available under the twinkling lights.
When: December 2, 2017 3:00pm – 8:00pm
Where: California Center for the Arts, Escondido – 340 N Escondido Blvd, Escondido, CA 92025
2017 SoNo Fest & Chili Cook-Off
The SoNo Fest & Chili Cook-Off offers you everything you might need for a fun day including wine, craft beer, shopping options, music and homemade chili. The fest features 40 restaurants competing for the title of best chili, a kids fun area with bouncy houses, face painting, carnival games, lives music, a wine and beer garden featuring local craft breweries and wineries, and lastly, food trucks in case chili isn’t for you.
When: December 3, 2017 11:00am – 5:00pm
Where: Thorn & 32nd Streets in North Park, San Diego, CA 92104
Cost: Free Admission – Chili Bowl and 5 Tastings $25
Garden of Lights
During the holiday season, the San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas transforms into a dazzling light display. With over 125,000 lights illuminating throughout the garden, this holiday experience is relaxing and fun for the whole family. Take a stroll through the garden and enjoy the activities and events the garden has to offer including live entertainment, food, hot coffee and more.
When: December 2 – December 30, 2017, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Where: San Diego Botanic Garden – 230 Quail Gardens Dr. Encinitas, CA 92024
42nd Annual Coronado Holiday Parade
Kick off your weekend by enjoying the holiday parade in Coronado. Families will have the opportunity to join in on caroling and await Santa’s arrival on a big fire truck followed by the first-ever tree lighting where a Coronado family is selected after entering a contest to light the tree with the Mayor.
Where: Coronado Ferry Landing – 1201 1st Street, Coronado, CA 92118
When: December 1, 2017, 3:20pm – 8:00pm
Santa Train North Pole Limited
For a surreal Christmas experience for your little ones, take them on a train ride to the North Pole for their very own Polar Express adventure. Onboard the train, you and your children will listen to Christmas carols, a narration of “The Night Before Christmas,” enjoy Christmas cookies and hot chocolate and meet with Santa and Mrs. Claus.
Where: Pacific Southwest Railway Museum – Campo Depot – California 94 & Forrest Gate Road, Campo, CA 91906
When: December 1 – December 23, 2017, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
More Festive Fun in San Diego this Week:
Click the events below for more information.
- Viejas Outlet Center Ice Rink – Thru January 28, 2018
- Global Winter Wonderland – Thru January 7, 2018
- SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration – Thru January 6, 2018
- Skating by the Sea – Thru January 1, 2018
- Skate by the Bay – Thru January 1, 2018
- Holidays at LEGOLAND – Thru December 31, 2017
- Seas ‘N’ Greetings – Thru December 31, 2017
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Thru December 24, 2017
- Miracle on 34th Street: A Live Musical Radio Play – Thru December 24, 2017
- Summer: The Donna Summer Musical – Thru December 17, 2017
- Tree Lighting Ceremony at La Valencia Hotel – November 28, 2017
- Christopher O’Riley: Out of my Hands – November 28, 2017
- Wish & The Well with Shane Shipley & Coby Lee Brooks – November 29, 2017
- Robert Kelly – November 30 – December 2, 2017
- Polar Extractions – An Art Exhibition – December 1-30, 2017
- Christmas Teas at the Westgate Hotel – December 1-24, 2017
- Chopin and Dvorak – December 1-2, 2017
- Queen Nation and the Who Generation – December 1, 2017
- Elephante at Omnia San Diego – December 1, 2017
- Sunday Brunch with Santa at the Hotel Del – December 3-24, 2017
- Breakfast with Santa at Vela Restaurant – December 3-24, 2017
- Teddy Bears Teas – December 2-23, 2017
- Mindfulness Teaching Workshop – December 2, 2017
- Annual Lighting of the Christmas Tree – December 2, 2017
- Oceanside Harbor Wine Cruise – December 2, 2017
- Full Moon Fishing at Lake Jennings – December 2, 2017
- No Duh with Fooz Fighters and Pearl Jammed – December 2, 2017
- Lema at Omnia San Diego – December 2, 2017
- Winter Yoga Social – December 3, 2017
- San Pasqual Battle Day – December 3, 2017
- Annual Holiday Sale and Author Meet & Greet – December 3, 2017
- Mariachi Sol de Mexico de Jose Hernandez – December 3, 2017
*Information and Images Provided by sandiego.org