Spend this week enjoying all the fun things to do in San Diego, including a film festival, street fairs, an art show, and Tiki Oasis.
Oceanside International Film Festival
Held every August, Oceanside International Film Festival is an opportunity for independent filmmakers to have their work screened and judged. It also gives the film buffs a jump-start chance for viewing local and international films. The festival showcases feature films, documentaries, shorts, animation, and student works. Between screenings, movie aficionados will be able to visit the famous bungalow house featured in “Top Gun” (starring Tom Cruise), California Surf Museum, or the longest wooden pier on the western United States coastline – all downtown Oceanside within walking distance from OIFF.
Where: Sunshine Brooks Theatre – 217 N Coast Hwy, Oceanside, CA 92054
When: Thru August 13, 2017
Flicks on the Bricks
The Athenaeum in La Jolla is back for it’s annual outdoor movie series, “Flicks on the Bricks”. This series makes it possible for you to enjoy classic movies that you love while enjoying the beautiful summer night on the patio of the Athenaeum. Flicks on the Bricks Year 11 features Mismatched Pairings! Enjoy mismatched pairings on the screen and for the wine tasting. August 10th: Harold and Maude (1971); August 17th: Annie Hall (1977); August 24th: Groundhog Day (1977); August 31: Silver Linings Playbook (2012). Ages 21+.
Where: Athenaeum Music & Arts Library – 1008 Wall St, La Jolla, CA 92037
When: August 10-31, 2017
Tiki Oasis 2017: International Intrigue
Tiki Oasis is the largest and longest-running festival in the world for lovers of Island lifestyle and purveyors of Polynesian Pop. The festival is a series of events over 4 nights and 3 days in San Diego. Thursday night opens at the historic Bali Hai. Friday thru Sunday at the Crowne Plaza offers daytime events such as DJs, 100+ vendors, educational seminars, a car show, and tropical cocktails by the pool. In the evening, enjoy the main stage bands and a midnight burlesque show. Each year the event has a theme – on Saturday night guests dress to match the theme and compete in a costume contest.
Where: The Crowne Plaza Hotel – 2270 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108
When: August 10-13, 2017
ArtWalk at Liberty Station Arts District
ArtWalk at Liberty Station celebrates 12 years of bringing visual arts, music, and interactive art-making to San Diego. The Arts District at Liberty Station has blossomed into San Diego’s premier venue for the arts, museums, dining and entertainment. The beautiful outdoor setting surrounds a picturesque rose garden and grassy area and features a shaded wine and beer pavilion and street food.
Where: 2645 Historic Decatur, San Diego, CA 92106
When: August 12-13, 2017
Fiesta del Sol San Diego
Fiesta del Sol is an annual two-day street festival celebrating the history, cultures, and civic engagement of the people of San Diego. The largest community-driven family festival in San Diego County, Fiesta del Sol is a fun, family-friendly, alcohol-free and tobacco-free event focused on creating positive change by empowering communities. The festival includes an entertainment stage, a multi-cultural food court, community pavilions, and over a hundred booths.
Where: Main Street, between So Evans St & Sicard St, San Diego, CA 92113
When: August 12-13, 2017
Time: 11 AM to 6 PM
Beer X is a one-day music and craft beer festival on August 12th at Waterfront Park in San Diego. Enjoy live music throughout the day from Iration, J Boog, Chicano Batman, Magic!, Trouble In The Wind and Splavender. Festival-goers can show up early to receive their complimentary BEER X tasting glass to enjoy unlimited complimentary tastings from 1pm-4pm. Locally sourced food trucks and vendors will also be serving food all day. Beer, wine and cocktails will be available for purchase. This event is 21+.
Where: San Diego Waterfront Park – 1600 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101
When: August 12, 2017
Time: 1 PM to 10 PM
Hillcrest CityFest Street Fair
Located in the heart of Hillcrest under the Hillcrest sign, this vibrant neighborhood’s annual CityFest is a huge celebration of community spirit through music, arts, crafts, and food. In fact, Hillcrest CityFest is largest single-day street fair in San Diego. Enjoy live music on a grand stage with headliner bands all day long. Stay past sundown and dance the night away with Hillcrest’s best DJ’s during CityFest at Night! The event features over 250 vendors, activities, games, and a spirits garden with cocktails and beer for purchase.
Where: 5th Ave and University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
When: August 13, 2017
Time: 12 PM to 11 PM
More Fun Things to Do In San Diego
Click on any of the events below to learn more
- Hamlet – Thru September 10, 2017
- Pump Up The Volume: A 90’s Palooza! – Thru September 10, 2017
- SeaWorld’s Electric Ocean – Thru September 4, 2017
- Sunset Luaus on Mission Bay – Thru September 1, 2017
- California Dream Beach Party – Thru August 31, 2017
- Screen on the Green – Thru August 31, 2017
- Twilight in the Park Summer Concerts – August 31, 2017
- Ken Ludwig’s Robin Hood – Thru August 27, 2017
- Wonderspaces – Thru August 27, 2017
- Stagecoach Days – Thru August 26, 2017
- Summer Safari at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park – Thru August 13, 2017
- Guys and Dolls – Thru August 13, 2017
- James Vincent McMorrow – August 8, 2017
- 29th Annual Taste of Mainstreet Encinitas – August 8, 2017
- Dancing with the Stars: Live! Hot Summer Nights – August 9, 2017
- Creepseed – August 9, 2017
- Michael Ian Black – August 10-12, 2017
- An Evening with the Avett Brothers – August 10, 2017
- Steve Earle & The Dukes – August 10, 2017
- Julian Jordan at OMNIA San Diego – August 10, 2017
- Shady Ladies and Hop Heads Tour – August 11, 2017
- Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe – August 11, 2017
- Twomey Cellars & Silver Oak Winemaker Dinner – August 11, 2017
- Kaskade at OMNIA San Diego – August 11, 2017
- Snorkel with Leopard Sharks – August 12, 2017
- Eat Better Art: Reimagining the School Lunch – August 12, 2017
- Archaeoastronomy in Northern Baja California – August 12, 2017
- Wayward Sons – August 12, 2017
- Joyce Moreno – August 12, 2017
- Slander at OMNIA San Diego – August 12, 2017
- Art in the Village – August 13, 2017
- Cardiff Dog Days of Summer – August 13, 2017