The holiday season is quickly approaching in San Diego, giving us a surplus of holiday fun to attend around the county. Upcoming events in San Diego include everything from ice skating to holiday lights and musicals. Find the perfect event for you on our list below.
Rady Children’s Ice Skating Rink at Liberty Station
Starting on November 17th, the Rady Children’s Ice Skating Rink is open every day until January 7th from 10:00am to 10:00pm – the rink will close early on Christmas Eve and be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. All proceeds from the ice skating rink benefit the Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Rady Children’s. Tickets include a skate rental and optional helmet. The ice skating rink is nestled in Liberty Station near lots of food options.
Where: Arts District Liberty Station – 2640 Historic Decatur Road San Diego, CA 92106
When: November 16, 2017 – January 7, 2018 10:00am-10:00pm
Conducted by Markus Stenz, Wolf Amadeus Mozart’s final masterpiece “Requiem” will be performed at the Copley Symphony Hall in Downtown San Diego. Experience one of Mozart’s most powerful and moving pieces of music. The concert opens with Franz Joseph Haydn’s “Drum Roll” Symphony No. 103. Bring your whole family to this classical live music performance.
Where: San Diego Symphony – 1245 Seventh Ave San Diego, CA 92101
When: November 17 – November 19, 2017
Cost: $20 – $72
Global Winter Wonderland – Chinese Lantern Festival
This holiday wonderland features illuminating landscapes celebrating holidays around the world, acrobatics with Cirque du Soleil level acrobats, 35+ carnival rides, holiday activities, international food, games, shopping and more. This Chinese Lantern Festival has handcrafted lanterns from all around the world. The event will also include a craft center for children, ornament, and lantern decorating, visit Toyland and the North Pole, and take photos with Penny the Penguin.
Where: SDCCU Stadium – 9449 Friars Road San Diego, CA 92108
When: November 19, 2017 – January 7, 2018
71st Annual Mother Goose Parade
Head out to East County for the annual Mother Goose Parade happening the Sunday before Thanksgiving to kick off the holiday season. This is the largest parade in San Diego County and the largest parade West of the Mississippi. The parade attracts thousands of people to the streets of El Cajon to enjoy the unique floats, marching bands, drill units, equestrians, clowns, special guests, performers, celebrities, and lastly, Santa Claus.
Where: El Cajon Blvd & W Main St El Cajon, CA 92020
When: November 19, 2017 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
Watch the story about the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer, and her life from her modest childhood in Boston to how she rose to international stardom. The musical is told through the dramatic lens of Donna Summer’s final concert and presents the complexities and conflicts she faced in her rise and descent. The musical features 20 of Summer’s classic hits including “Bad Girls,” “Love to Love You, Baby,” and “Hot Stuff.” This musical experience combines touching drama with a rock concert.
Where: La Jolla Playhouse – 2910 La Jolla Village Drive La Jolla, CA 92037
When: November 5 – December 17, 2017
The Hip Hop Nutcracker
This holiday mashup combines everyone’s favorite holiday story with a contemporary twist that incorporates hip hop music and dancing. This is the third national tour after selling out the past two. The modern twist takes place in 1980’s Brooklyn and celebrates love, community, and the magic that happens on New Year’s Eve. Directed and choreographed by Jennifer Weber, the play is performed by all-star dancers and a live DJ and violinist.
Where: San Diego Civic Theatre – 11—Third Ave San Diego, CA 92101
When: November 18, 2017 8:00pm
Father Joe’s Villages 16th Annual Thanksgiving Day 5K
Start your Thanksgiving Day with physical activity by participating in the Father Joe’s Villages 16th Annual Thanksgiving Day 5k before you enjoy a day with food and family. San Diego has the 4th highest homeless population in the country with the numbers growing by the day. The 5k is not just for fun, but to raise awareness and provide funds to support Father Joe’s Villages to provide and serve close to 1 million meals per year. At the finish line will be a kid’s area, vendors, costume contest, furry friends area, live music, a beer garden and homemade pies.
Where: Balboa Park, Spreckels Organ Pavillion – 1549 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
When: November 23, 2017 6:30am – 8:30am
Surfin’ Santa Arrival
Surfin’ Santa ditches his red suit every year to visit Seaport Village during their 12th annual event. During the celebration, kids and adults will have the opportunity to greet Surfin’ Santa and take photos with him, create eco-friendly ornaments, and enjoy holiday shopping and eating throughout Seaport Village for unique gifts and food. There is also a festive parade along the boardwalk, live performers and many kid crafting areas.
Where: Seaport Village – 849 West Harbor Drive San Diego, CA 92101
When: November 25, 2017 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Julian Country Christmas and Tree Lighting
Drive up the mountains and experience fall foliage, crisp cool air, fresh apple pie, and hopefully a glimpse of snowcapped mountains and more on your way up to the Julian Country Christmas and Tree Lighting. During the event, you can greet Santa, enjoy Victorian Christmas tea, sing Christmas carols, enjoy hot and fresh apple cider and enjoy the holiday lights.
Where: Pioneer Park – 2811 Washington St. Julian, CA 92036
When: November 25, 2017 2:00pm – 5:00pm
More Upcoming Events in San Diego:
Click the events below for more info.
- Viejas Outlet Center Ice Rink – Thru January 28, 2018
- Summer: The Donna Summer Musical – Thru December 17, 2017
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Thru December 24, 2017
- Live Music with Robin Henkel – Thru Nov 28, 2017
- Del Mar Bing Crosby Season – Thru November 26, 2017
- San Diego Asian Film Festival – Thru November 18, 2017
- Taco Tuesday with Chef Jessie Glessner – November 14, 2017
- Bernard Collins & The Abyssinians – November 14, 2017
- So You Think You Can Dance – November 14, 2017
- Ile with Todo Mundo – November 15, 2017
- Saltbox Style House in the Most Interesting Places – November 15, 2017
- Tal Wilkenfeld Live at the Belly Up – November 15, 2017
- 2017 Beaujolais Nouveau Days – November 16, 2017
- David Sedaris – November 16, 2017
- Juicy Scoop Live Podcast with Heather McDonald – November 16, 2017
- Ariel Pink with Gary Wilson and the Blind Dates – November 16, 2017
- PGK “Falls Back” to the Lyceum Theatre – November 17-19, 2017
- Scholarshare 529: Make Art – November 17, 2017
- Shopkins Live! – November 17, 2017
- Daley – November 17, 2017
- The Expendables with Seedless Live at the Belly Up – November 17, 2017
- The Hip Hop Nutcracker – November 18, 2017
- Trevor Hall: The Fruitful Darkness Tour – November 18, 2017
- Encinitas Fall Festival – November 19, 2017
- World Famous Gospel Brunch – November 19, 2017
- Sunday Supper Farm Dinner – November 19, 2017
- Marcia Ball Live at the Belly Up – November 19, 2017
- Live Music with Jerry “Hot Rod” Demink – November 19, 2017
- Isreal Vibration – November 19, 2017
*Information and Images Provided by sandiego.org