Here’s an official sorry to any Scrooges or Grinches out there this holiday season because San Diego isn’t holding back on having as many festive celebrations as possible leading up to the New Year. You can’t escape the holiday cheer! This week in San Diego features light parades on the water, Santa sightings, a Santa 5k and more.
San Diego Santa Run 5K and 1 Mile Race
Enjoy your weekend run while dressing up in your favorite Christmas attire, whether that be a Santa suit or ugly sweater. Participants of the race will receive a free Sunny Santa suit, hat, short sleeve jacket, shorts, belt and beard so you can dress up as Santa before the race. Participants will also receive a free pair of sunglasses and one free drink ticket. The race is open to dogs and children. Following the race is the Pacific Beach holiday parade.
When: December 9, 2017 8:30am – 1:00pm
Where: Garnet Ave. and Bayard St. San Diego, CA 92109
Santa at the Lakes
East County, Santa Claus is coming to town! Visit Santee Lakes for a festive fun family-friendly day that includes visits with Santa, snow sledding (with real snow!), carnival rides, s’mores, face painting, crafts and more. There will also be picture opportunities with Cinderella, the Ice Princess and other characters! The event is free, you only need to pay $10 for parking at the lake.
When: December 10, 2017 – 10:00am – 3:00pm
Where: Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve – 9310 Fanita Pkwy, Santee, CA 92071
Cost: $10 to park
La Mesa’s Holiday in the Village
Visit La Mesa’s village in Downtown to see it transformed into a winter wonderland. The Holiday in the Village will feature fire pits, caroling, live music, craft and food vendors, holiday activities and more! This event will surely get you into the holiday spirit with the twinkly lights and holiday cheer. You can also visit the shops in the village to get a jump start on your holiday shopping.
When: December 9th and 10th, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Where: La Mesa Village – La Mesa Blvd & Spring St, La Mesa, CA 91941
Makers Arcade Holiday Fair
This arts and craft fair on the Broadway Pier features more than 100 local makers and crafters, plus craft cocktails, gourmet food trucks, beer, live music, craft making, swag bags, camera camper and more! You will have the opportunity to purchase handcrafted goods from your favorite local makers like Love Tatum, Chelspots, Wild Habitat, Dear Survivor, Anchored West and more.
When: December 9th, 2017 11:00am – 7:00pm
Where: Port Pavilion at Broadway Pier – 50 B St Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101
San Diego Bay Parade of Lights
The 46th annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights, hosted by the San Diego boating community is a holiday tradition that features more than 80 boats decked out in holiday décor and lights. The boats sail near the coast for all to enjoy. This year’s theme is “Arrrgh! A Pirate’s Christmas.” The parade starts at Shelter Island and makes its way to the ferry landing in Coronado.
When: Sunday, December 10, 2017 – 5:00pm – 7:00pm & Sunday, December 17, 2017 – 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Where: Multiple Viewing Locations: Shelter Island, Harbor Island, The Embarcadero, Seaport Village, The Pier at Cesar Chavez Park, Ferry Landing on Coronado
San Diego Zoo Jungle Bells
Visit the San Diego Zoo for their annual Jungle Bells celebration. The San Diego zoo is decked out in holiday lights and décor, there’s going to be festive foods, merry performances like acrobatic trampoline elves, carolers, animal encounters and more. You can also visit Santa at his igloo for photo opportunities or take a ride on the park bus to see all of the lights.
When: December 8, 2017 – January 1, 2017
Where: San Diego Zoo – 2920 Zoo Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: Regular Zoo Admission – $44 – $60
Wrex the Halls 2017
Come out and enjoy some of the best alternative bands in music at 91x’s annual holiday show. This year’s show features The Lumineers headlining with performances also by Vance Joy, DREAMCAR, The War on Drugs, Arkells, and Buckfast Superbee. Enjoy great beer and live non-holiday music at this annual concert.
When: Saturday, December 9, 2017, 5:00pm
Where: Valley View Casino Center – 3500 Sports Arena Blvd. San Diego, CA 92110
Cost: $45 – $70
More Festive Fun in San Diego this Week:
Click the events below for more information.
- Viejas Outlet Center Ice Rink – Thru January 28, 2017
- Global Winter Wonderland – Thru January 8, 2018
- Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station – Thru January 7, 2018
- SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration – Thru January 6, 2018
- Skate by the Bay – Thru January 1, 2018
- Skating by the Sea – Thru January 1, 2018
- Holidays at LEGOLAND – Thru December 31, 2017
- Seas ‘N’ Greetings – Thru December 31, 2017
- Garden of Lights – Thru December 30, 2017
- 25 Days of Jsix-Mas – Thru December 28, 2017
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! – Thru December 24, 2017
- Miracle on 34th Street: A Live Musical Radio Play – Thry December 24, 2017
- Santa Train North Pole Limited – Thru December 23, 2017
- Naughty or Nice Mixology Class – Thru December 23, 2017
- Summer: The Donna Summer Musical – Thru December 17, 2017
- Socal Etsy Holiday Market – December 6-20, 2017
- Holiday Celebration with Laser Light Show & Santa – December 6, 2017
- Peppa Pig Live! Peppa Pig’s Surprise – December 7, 2017
- Sip & Savasana – December 7, 2017
- Atomic Groove Xmas Show at the Belly Up! – December 7, 2017
- Tommy Davidson – December 8-10, 2017
- Shady Ladies and Hop Heads Tour – December 8, 2017
- Abbey Road Christmas at the Belly Up! – December 8, 2017
- La Mesa’s Holiday in the Village – December 9-10, 2017
- San Diego Santa Run 5K and 1 Mile Race – December 9, 2017
- Boat Rides with Santa – Oceanside Harbor – December 9, 2017
- Oceanside Harbor Parade of Lights – December 9, 2017
- Poway’s Christmas in the Park – December 9, 2017
- Toast of the Gaslamp – December 9, 2017
- Living’ on a Prayer vs Springsteen Experience – December 9, 2017
- A Very Carnitas’ Christmas – December 10-17, 2017
- History for the Holidays – December 10, 2017
- Santa at the Lakes – December 10, 2017
*Information and Images Provided by sandiego.org