This week in San Diego is offering lots of events to make it feel like winter which will feel like a relief after the past week of warm Santa Ana weather. Some of the exciting things to do in San Diego this week includes ice skating, playing in fake snow, a crafts fair and more. Keep reading to find out what you should do this weekend, if none of these sound fun, check out some of San Diego’s hidden gems you can explore.
Snow Day San Diego
Snow Day San Diego is a fun and unique event you can visit with your family just 15 minutes South of Downtown San Diego. This event is covered with synthetic snow, the kind you see in movies or in malls so you don’t need to worry about being wet and cold. It will look just like a white Christmas with the twinkly holiday lights, tubing hill, train rides, and ice skating. There will also be a giant gingerbread house, food, snacks, a photo booth, and games.
When: December 15 – December 30, 6:00pm – 10:30pm
Where: Rohr Park — 4440 Sweetwater Road Bonita, CA 91902
Victory at Sea Day
Celebrate the darkest day of the year by visiting Ballast Point Brewery this Sunday to get a taste of 18+ variations of their Victory at Sea brew paired with the Victory at Sea inspired Family Feast in the Kettle Room. Wristbands include 5 tasters, a goblet, a sticker and an eye patch. Pirate attire is strongly encouraged for this event.
When: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 9:00am – 9:00pm
Where: Ballast Point Brewing Company Little Italy – 2215 India Street San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: $25 – $50
Winter Wonderland at Maritime Museum
Watch the parking lot in front of the Maritime Museum be transformed into a winter wonderland featuring an ice skating rink (with synthetic ice), a pirate ship bounce house and slide, photos with Santa, and hot beverages. There is no admission fee to enter the event, although each activity costs a fee. Come out and enjoy this winter wonderland on San Diego’s waterfront.
When: Sunday, December 17, 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Where: Maritime Museum of San Diego – 1492 N Harbor Dr. San Diego, CA
Private Screening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Be one of the first people to see the new Star Wars film and experience this exciting party. This early screening event will give you the opportunity to meet with R2D2, hang out with Stormtroopers, listen to an astronomy talk about the Star Wars universe, train for a lightsaber battle, watch a local artist create Star Wars inspired art and enjoy complimentary food and drinks from local restaurants and breweries.
When: Thursday, December 14, 2017, 6:30pm – 1:30am
Where: Fleet Science Center – 1875 El Prado Balboa Park, San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: $55 – $125
Queen Bee Market
Calling all Etsy lovers! This urban market is a chance for you to buy handmade goods from local Etsy sellers. This market celebrates feminism and fun, each booth designed with flair. Enjoy handmade home décor, clothing, paper arts, accessories, vintage items, furniture and more. There will also be live demonstrations, a lounge for shoppers, and make and take stations.
When: December, 15, 4:00pm – 9:00pm and Saturday, December 16, 9:00am – 4:00pm
Where: Del Mar Fairgrounds – 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd Del Mar, CA 92014
Red Nose Run
Dress in your best, or worst, holiday apparel for this 3k or 5k race that benefits Fresh Start Surgical Gifts and Semper Fi Fund. This is the 26th Annual Red Nose Run along Del Mar beach. Enjoy the fresh beach air, a costume contest, an after party at the Poseidon Restaurant, opportunity drawings, and a live auction. In the past 25 years, the Red Nose Run has raised over $250,000 for these charities.
When: Saturday, December 15, 2017, 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Where: Powerhouse Park – 1658 Coast Blvd. Del Mar, CA 92014
Cost: $35 – $45
Frozen Fairgrounds at Del Mar
Learn to ice skate or play ice hockey on San Diego’s first full-size outdoor ice hockey rink. You can practice skating and then test your skills at the hockey interactive skill zones. There’s also a concession stand available for snacks in-between a day of skating. There is holiday public skating in addition to hockey tournaments going on. Check the website for daily events.
When: December 15 – December 31, 2017, hours vary daily
Where: Del Mar Fairgrounds 22nd DAA – 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd. Del Mar, CA 92014
Want More Winter Fun? Check Out These Other Events in San Diego this Week:
- Winter Gray Whale Watching – Thru April 2018
- Viejas Outlet Center Ice Rink – Thru January 28, 2018
- Rady Children’s Ice Rine at Liberty Station – Thru January 7, 2018
- Global Winter Wonderland – Thru January 7, 2018
- SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration – Thru January 6, 2018
- Jungle Bells at the San Diego Zoo – Thru January 1, 2018
- Skating by the Sea – Thru January 1, 2018
- Holidays at LEGOLAND – Thru December 31, 2017
- Seas ‘n’ Greetings – Thru December 31, 2017
- Garden of Lights – Thru December 30, 2017
- Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! – Thru December 24, 2017
- Miracle on 34th Street: A Live Musical Radio Play – Thru December 24, 2017
- The Nutcracker – Thru December 23, 2017
- Santa Train North Pole Limited – Thru December 23, 2017
- SoCal Etsy Holiday Market – Thru December 20, 2017
- Summer: The Donna Summer Musical – Thru December 17, 2017
- Eat Drink & Be Merry Holiday Lunch – Thru December 15, 2017
- Holiday Succulent Crafting Party – December 13, 2017
- Pablo Francisco – December 14-17, 2017
- Private Screening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – December 14, 2017
- Salsa Under the Stars – December 15, 2017
- An Irish Christmas – December 15, 2017
- Pato Banton with Layne Tadesse Live at the Belly Up – December 15, 2017
- Holiday Movies on the Beach – December 16-30, 2017
- San Diego Holiday Half Marathon – December 16, 2017
- Dirty December Poker Fun Run Half Marathon & 10K – December 16, 2017
- The 15th Annual Turtleneck & Sweater Party – December 16, 2017
- Storytime Breakfast with Santa – December 17, 2017
- Winter Wonderland at the Maritime Museum of San Diego – December 17, 2017
- 4th Annual Country Christmas Featuring Sam Outlaw – December 17, 2017
- Family Night – Holiday Special – December 17, 2017
- Menorah Lighting by Congregation Beth AM – December 17, 2017
*Information and Images Provided by sandiego.org